Shift to social business: Altimeter report
Altimeter’s State of Social Business 2013 report tells the story of businesses expanding their social media efforts and investments. Altimeter conducts regular social business surveys to learn how social media is evolving within enterprise organisations. Analysis of survey results over the last three years reveals that social media is extending deeper into organisations and, at the same time, strategies are maturing.
According to the latest report what was previously a series of initiatives, driven by marketing and public relations is now evolving into a social business movement that looks to scale and integrate social technologies across the organisation.
Altimeter has identified six-steps that characterise the progression of an organisation to becoming a social business: planning, presence, engagement, formalised, strategic and converged. Most organisations identify their social media implementation as intermediate with 17% mature.
Other notable highlights from the report include:
- Most dedicated social media teams continue to report to marketing (40%) or corporate communications and PR (26%).
- 13 different departments around the organisation are seeing dedicated staff work on social initiatives.
- Top priorities for social include scaling for engagement, integrating data, and training around social.
- Measuring the impact of social is maturing, with over half of organizations able to track the impact of social on marketing efforts.
- Lack of employee training around social media policies remains a significant risk area.
The report is available as a Slideshare download.